Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Southern Hospitality

How would you like to find this beauty in your backyard? This lovely garden spider has been hanging out by our pond all summer long. As you can probably tell I am not much for bugs (which has been an adjustment living in the south) but as long as she eats the mosquitoes, gnats, and other annoying little creatures, I guess she is "welcome."
She has knit a large web across the pond, and I know you can't tell much by the picture but it has a zig-zag pattern in the middle. Pretty amazing, even if I don't like our "guest" all that much....

2 comments:

Mariana Layman said...

Wow, I'm not a big spider person either since living in Edwards with all the black widows... However, as long as they stay in "their" area and help out with the annoying bugs, I agree to let them be. Quite an interesting looking spider and her web looks nice too. Part of me hopes to live on the east coast next because it looks sooo pretty!

Anonymous said...

I have seen those spiders for awhile . . . living here in SC and they still seem TOO BIG to me.

I'm not even sure the picture does her size justice.