Friday, August 20, 2010

Boiled "P-Nuts"

Livin' in the South comes with some new southern cookin'. My neighbor from SC brought us fried okra and fried green tomatoes along with roasted corn and BBQ chicken one evening. I had never seen okra before we moved here, and let me just tell you, the fried green tomatoes and okra were fabulous. Mmm mm. Sweet tea is served everywhere, although I have not tried it. On our drive into Columbia there are all sorts of places along the road advertising boiled "p-nuts." Just today on our visit to the "Farm Store" the kind owner offered me some boiled peanuts to try. They were interesting. They have the texture of a soft bean and are kind of mushy and salty. I think they would take some getting use to if you did not grow up eating them.

We have yet to eat at "Lizard's Thicket" where macaroni and cheese is a vegetable. :o)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin -- it is so much fun to see/learn/hear your "outside" (the south) perspective.

I want you to try my sweet tea sometime. Have I lead you wrong yet?

Also -- Lizard's Thicket's slogan is: Country Cookin' makes you good lookin!

I had an exchange student working with me once; he was from Norway. We had a working lunch one day and ordered from Lizard's Thicket. He was very "sheepish" about ordering and then asked me . . . finally . . .if had to eat a lizard. I had never seen it that way before.

Interesting (and fun) to see how others see some of our "southern ways."

Just think . . . in a few years you can share all this southern stuff (the good stuff) with some of your friends from the midwest.

Sweet tea soon! My place.

Leigh

Anonymous said...

I Still want to try Lizard's thicket, let's be brave when I visit
Joann

RC said...

We had a few friends in college that were from that part of the country who LOVED boiled peanuts.

I've had okra, friend green tomatoes, and of course sweet tea, but never boiled peanuts.

mae said...

Grandma W said they are kind of slimey...