Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Light at the End

I was thinking: Steve has been gone over a year in the past 22 months, about 1/4 of our marriage, and 1/2 of Christian's life between his lengthy TDYs (Fort Bragg and Hurlburt Field) and this deployment. Needless to say, it will be so nice to have him home. Hopefully he can stick around for awhile. In some ways I don't remember what it was like to have him home...how sad is that? I guess I have just gotten used to the solo days and evenings. Setting up new routines in hopes that it will help Mommy and Christian get through the day. Sometimes we are just in survival mode. And in the end, we have nearly made it. I am not quite sure how some military families have been able to sacrifice so much of their life together. I am grateful that this was a shorter deployment compared to the year-long+ commitments, and I am thankful that Steve will (cross my fingers) not have to go back soon. God has kept him in safe territory and I am incredibly grateful that he is not on the front lines. No, this lifestyle is not ideal, but I am SO thankful that God has given us the grace to get through these rough separations. So...as we look at these last couple weeks, I am just so thrilled that there is light at the end of the tunnel. And can I just say, "Thank You" to all military members and families, past and present, who have served (in a multitude of ways) for our country. We have gotten just a taste of what that sacrifice looks like.

2 comments:

Mom said...

We, too, are so thankful for our military. And so thankful that the day is close that Steve will be home...God has taken care of all of you, and we are so thankful that you are in the neighborhood that you are in!

Michaela said...

Erin, my little family is thankful for YOU and Steve. Your sacrificing time which is so precious with your husband and his time with you and his son is worth so much more than words can say. I'll pray his transition back home is smooth and wonderful!