Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Will We Miss Edwards?

As we spend our last few weeks here at Edwards (less than 3 now,) many memories and thoughts are beginning to surface. While Steve's parents were here last week, Steve's mom asked us if we will miss Edwards. Both Steve and I were silent with little response for a few moments (as Edwards and Lancaster have been very "interesting" places to live- for lack of a better word.) Then Steve responded that he would miss Disneyland and I responded that I have enjoyed visiting various places in California....So you see, I don't believe that either of us will miss Edwards proper. However, last night while nursing Christian in the wee hours, I could hear engine tests being performed on one of the jets and I became a little sentimental for several reasons...maybe partly because I know the end is near. While living at Edwards my knowledge of the Air Force, flight testing, and airplanes has greatly increased. For instance, I can now look at a flying plane and usually name it (as long as its a f-22, f-16, c-17, b-1, b-2, b-52...etc.) In addition to learning more about airplanes (one of Steve's passions,) we began our marriage here in the desert July 2006, have shared wonderful vacations and visited places we never would have, made some wonderful friends, AND to top it off welcomed our beautiful baby boy in September. So as much as we have acted impartial or even looked at the Antelope Valley in disdain at times, I believe that Edwards will always have a special place in our hearts because of these fond memories and the beginning of our family.

3 comments:

RC said...

When I saw your post title my first thought was who is Miss Edwards?

I thought your post was going to be about entering an Edwards beauty pageant...I'm sure you'd win --- even though you're a Mrs.

Mary Ann said...

New background! This was a sweet post. I know that Edwards has been a hard place to live, but like you said, it was the beginning of your lives together and will always be special from that aspect.

Susan said...

I think it is part of this life to never leave a place and not feel a bit sentimental about the memories made while there. Each place is special because of the things that happen while you are there and the people you meet. I don't miss Edwards...I know Brandon misses flying, but not the place. I miss some of the people, you being one! I also had a baby there and made some wonderful memories with both of my kids....but bigger and better things await you and Steve and Christian....I am so excited for you Erin!