Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yada Yada Prayer Group Lessons

Last time I talked about getting out of my comfort zone and "getting real" with others in regards to friendships. Still a work in progress, obviously this will not be something that will happen over night. As I continue reading the "The Yada Yada Prayer Group" books (I am now on book 4- the library is a wonderful thing!) I have become more and more inspired and am learning more about having a heart of prayer. I think prayer can be a hard thing sometimes. I personally get wrapped up in my own thoughts and often become self reliant instead of letting God in on my decisions, worries, and daily thoughts. How wonderful it is when I actually let go of things that are weighing me down and give it to God. Things just seem so much easier when I do, and God gives me such peace...but then over time it seems inevitable that I fall back to my old way of self reliance and become bogged down by the world. Does this happen to anyone else? I know its something to constantly work at (or should it come easy?) How do you keep connected with God and maintain a relationship with faithful prayer? Are you like me and sometimes just pray when things are tough, or do you pray constantly even when things are steady and good?

Here are a few things that I am learning more about from the "Yada Yada" books:
  • Prayer and praise
  • Praying scripture
  • Thanking God for what he has done before He does it (whatever the outcome may be, He will work things out according to HIS will even if we don't understand at the time)
  • Believing God versus believing in God

2 comments:

Emily @ Finding My Aloha said...

Erin I love your honesty. Alot of people wouldnt admit that they didnt have "perfect" faith. I often feel the same way you are. I have started being better about praising God vs always asking something of Him. If I dont achieve praise prayers throughout the day then I catch it all when I say my nightly prayers with Noah. I might need to check this Yada series out!

Anonymous said...

I tried to post a message but it went ??? Those books sound amazing. I meant to ask you about them. The praise and celebrate prayers are actually easier for me than asking for help. Probably reflects the rest of my life. Now...to sense His presence in all those around me.