Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Yada Yada Prayer Group

I have been reading The Yada Yada Prayer Group series by Neta Jackson as of late (a 7 book series- I'm only on book 2.) Definitely light reads, but perfect for the end of the day when my mind is a little numb anyway. Actually, I have really been enjoying these books because they are all about getting real with others, becoming vulnerable, and getting out of one's comfort zone. If you know me, this is something that can really be a challenge in my life. I would sometimes rather stay to myself and be "comfortable" rather than getting out there and meeting others. This can be a very bad trait- leading to isolation at times. Steve and I have talked about how much harder it has been to make real friends ever since we graduated from college- why is that? I guess when one enters the "real world" of work and busy schedules it becomes harder and you really have to work at it. I am learning that, and have been trying to take more initiative to meet others and make friends with those at our new church and with our neighbors. It is still difficult though, and I hope that sometime in the next four-ish years while we are here in Sumter that I will be able to meet some women that I can "get real" with and develop more meaningful and intimate friendships.

Future thoughts as a read further into the series....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you friend! It was great to talk to you last night, it seems we are in similar "boats". I have no doubt that you'll make great friendships while you are out there!
-EM

Mariana Layman said...

I totally understand your situation and have found myself in the same predicament every time we move. It's hard to open up, especially when there are those who have used my openness in the past against me. I wish you luck in your endeavor and will be praying that you find at least one woman who you can really connect with!