Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Charleston "Where History Lives"

Two weeks ago, Steve's parents came to visit us, and one of our adventures was a fun trip to Charleston (less than a 2 hour drive from Sumter.) There is much to do in Charleston: tours of historic sites, houses, and buildings; a fun artsy marketplace; beautiful scenic views and beaches; and a plethora of unique restaurants to choose from. We stayed for one night (probably a full day total) so we saw just some of the historic city. It has such a special "feel" with it's cobblestone (not very stroller-friendly) streets and narrow sidewalks, and some of the most gorgeous architecture and gardens, we certainly look forward to going back to explore.
We stayed at a beautiful historic hotel called the Ansonborough Inn, dating back to 1901. Definitely would recommend!
Isle of Palms Beach was pretty, and very family-friendly (obviously very crowded also.) We hope to bring Christian here when he is walking/toddling. :o)
The Battery:
The Citadel Military College:

3 comments:

Andrew and Brooks said...

I adore Charleston!!! And you stayed at my Grandmother's favorite Inn! That is one of the most beautiful inn/hotels I have ever seen! Last time we were in Charleston we stayed in a cheap place, and I regretted it as soon as I as I visited my grandmother at this Inn!!! I love all the wrought iron work, the different style houses, the great seafood, etc etc!!! It is just an amazing city! Enjoy as often as you can, so I can live through your photos for the next 3+years! ;)

RC of strangeculture said...

That's really neat! We look forward to visiting too :-)

Susan said...

So glad you are getting out and exploring all the cool stuff in that area...several of my girlfriends have had the good luck of being stationed in Charleston and loved it. Being that I was raised in NC, I am a big fan of that part of the country, so enjoy and have fun!