Saturday, October 10, 2009

Embracing "Autumn" in the Desert


I heart autumn! It is absolutely my favorite season, which makes it hard to live in a California desert that doesn't really have four distinct seasons. I was laughing with Steve the other day because I feel as though we have become a little "Californified." This past week and a half has been a little cooler, and when I say "cooler" I mean day temps of 80 degrees. Steve and I are literally wearing jeans and long-sleeved shirts...how sad is that!? Meanwhile, in Colorado it is 20 degrees today and snowing. Growing up in Colorado, when the temps finally hit 60 degrees people would be wearing shorts and sandals.


Anyway, I am fondly thinking of you all who get to experience fall and a more defined change of season. The trees here are turning a slight brown and there is a definite "chill" in the air that hardly compares to the golds, oranges, and beauty of fall in Colorado.


Things I love about autumn/memories of autumn:


  • The changing colors
  • Crisp, cool fresh air
  • Sweaters and warm, cozy clothes
  • Hot chocolate after school
  • Pumpkin and apple spiced fall candles
  • Walking in the gutters to and from the bus stop in order to crunch all the leaves that have collected there
  • Weekends filled with football and my mom's warm "Mrs. Field's cookies"
  • Hot Starbucks drinks (white mochas and chai lattes are my favorite)
  • Shopping excursions with my mom including craft fairs
  • Spending time with family

Autumn obviously brings back happy childhood memories and has a special place in my heart. What is your favorite part of the fall season?

1 comment:

RC said...

what about memories of cold marching band practices?